Sep 5, 2026

Sexually violent predator Richard Stobaugh trying again to be released from State Hospital, lost 3 appeals and fourth is pending

 






I check regularly on cases I cover. I could have waited until after the hearing on Tuesday morning instead of providing yet another tip for other local media who benefit from my diligence and regular presence at the Humboldt Superior Courthouse and may now show up to cover this hearing. I chose to do this post today in case community members want to attend the hearing in person. 

People need to stop expecting me or the DA or law enforcement who are already overwhelmed with no time off working non stop on weekdays and weekends working to keep the public safe and informed. Time we should be spending relaxing and doing basic neccesities in life such as grocery shopping, laundry, medical appointments that you take for granted. For me, it is also a lot of time spent when I could make money. I don't get a steady paycheck. I work and with the exception of a few, most in Humboldt is fine with me subsidizing my reporting. I have made many sacrifices for 22 years so I don't want to hear from anyone in Humboldt why they cannot even make a one time contribution. My readers in the rest of California and nation show their appreciation in more than words.

For a judge to see the community in person makes a difference. Sitting on Facebook or online commenting and clutching your pearls is lazy and does not change outcomes. 

These are only some of the posts I did on sexually violent predator Richard Stobaugh trying for conditional release. I had to go through a lot to get my media request and these exclusive photos from the courtroom are copyrighted as is all material on my blog and any other platform where I provide this information. Do not use it without credit and permission.

If you do not read me regularly, you can access all previous coverage and exclusive details via the search feature on the blog.

Deputy District Attorney Whitney Timm is the prosecutor to thank for Stobaugh not being released. Public Defender Luke Brownfield appeared on the case the last time.



The hearing on 9/8/26 is in front of Humboldt Superior Court Presiding Judge Timothy Canning.

California Welfare and Institutions Code Section 6604.9 requires a yearly mental health examination for any person committed as a sexually violent predator SVP in California.

The Public Defender is asking for conditional release, again. WIC 6608A: A person who has been committed as a sexually violent predator shall be permitted to petition the court for conditional release with or without the recommendation or concurrence of the Director of State Hospitals. 

Stobaugh has lost three appeals. His fourth is pending.

Related post I did and this is CA GOP Assemblymember Carl DeMaio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.