Aug 7, 2026

Exclusive: Eureka Councilmember Contreras-DeLoach explains why she is not seeking a second term for Eureka City Council

 


I was the first and only one to report that Eureka Councilmember Ward 5 Renee Contreras DeLoach is not running for re-election.

Renee just sent me this statement. I wish her peace and healing.

"First, I want to say thank you for the opportunity to serve. I look forward to continuing to serve in some other capacity when the time is right. Next, I want to say that I will not be seeking a second term. I have received health news that changed my perspective on the right path forward for myself and my family. 

I am grateful for the broad base of support from people across the political spectrum. I believe that means I was doing this job right, not perfectly, but right because I was trying every day to put my community first. I’m glad that right, left and center felt free to call me, ask for help or even complain. I appreciate how often I’ve heard something along the lines of “I don’t agree with some of your views but I know you care about us”. That warms my heart!

I avoided the camera and news, which was a source of continual tension between my job as a public figure and my deeply held religious beliefs. I believe charity and service ought to be quiet and if you only serve to impress others, you’re doing it for the wrong reason. However, I have been very busy behind the scenes throughout my term. 

I have appreciated working with members of our local tribes and all the members of our various religious organizations. I thank you for your continuous and generous actions on behalf of everyone! May the Creator bless your every step taken on behalf of His children. 

My gratitude to the many businesses in Eureka who take a risk and work to build this community and economy without whom there would be no money to do a single thing at the City. We owe you our thanks and our respect. 

I want to thank our Fire Department, CSET, all our First Responders and their families who are willing to bear the trauma themselves to rescue  those in desperate need of them. You are heroes. 

Lastly, it’s important that you know goodness and kindness are happening around your city quietly, but continuously. In a time where so many are losing hope, it’s critical that you know that every day people are out there trying to make life better or kinder in their own small ways. There are many that serve out of love, not self promotion, they give and smile without cameras rolling. Left, right, center, Christian, Jewish, Sikh, Atheist- none of this matters when we are serving and loving one another. And the good people who call this area home have far more in common than not. 

All my best,

Renée"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.