I received two emails today within a matter of hours. Some of the text has been redacted/paraphrased to protect the identity of the alleged victims.
First email:
"I was emailing you in regards to Matthew kapono, I know your a busy man so I’ll try to not take up to much of your time, the victim in question is (redacted for privacy) and we were not notified of any own recognizance release just that he has a bail amount, i called the jail and was told that he has a medical hold but other than that they couldn’t see a release order. My question is, is it normal for charges of this nature to be given o.r and why wasnt my in law notified of the release if that is the case? Thank you for your time."
My response:
"These are questions better directed to the DA's office, not me. Each case is a different, I am not a lawyer and I was not in the courtroom to hear why he was granted supervised release."
I wrote in my post about Kapono that I was not in the courtroom. I am no longer sitting in the courtroom or spending time at the Courthouse for hours after 12 years of not being compensated and supported by this community by most people including those at the Courthouse and law enforcement who benefit from my work and updates. I cover other news and other courts and I prioritize my time.
This isn't the first time in 12 years, families of victims and defendants have found out information through my blog. I have written about several including my coverage of the Marci Kitchen and Christopher Diven case. In the Diven case, it was the defendant's family.
Second email:
"One of David Bourlands cases is felony theft from (redacted for privacy). Ive been trying to watch as close as I can, him and the other 2 known thefts.
I appreciate the newest updates and I to wonder how my case will be handled (redacted )."
I have been the only one to cover Bourland's recent arrest for a confidential federal warrant and I listed his local cases.
I also end up being the one directing people to Humboldt Superior Court.
While the local electeds do not listen, most of my time and doing the job of the DA, Victim Witness, Public Defenders and courts takes up most of my time. They get paid to keep victims and parties they represent informed.
I responded to one person today. I do not to everyone. I should not have to respond to anyone. I am not paid or supported by most of Humboldt for what I do and have, for free for 12 years. I have had individual conservatives and liberals support me. People who are decent just do it. They don't waste my time and do not follow through. They don't need to be asked. The same people who email me with questions need to support my work. Outside Humboldt, people just do it because they appreciate me and do not take advantage of me. If I am going to do the work that Victim Witness, the DA and Public Defender get paid for; they can compensate me for my time.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.