Aug 15, 2026

For years, settlement discussions, endless continuances for the same reason in this human trafficking case

 



Nicholas Machado aka "KGB" and Uonan Uonan aka "Chicago John" 2024 human trafficking case as an example of why I and readers have lost interest in Humboldt court cases. Nothing happens. The backlog gets worse. As you will see when I finally do an update on Jorden Sterling's case, the Humboldt criminal justice system is a joke. And this includes most parties, the Humboldt County DA, the public defenders, CWS, some weak cases from certain law enforcement. I have called out judges and admin plenty and for this post, I will not because this is the DA and the defense attorneys. Humboldt Superior Court Presiding Judge Kelly Neel is one of the few who does negotiate plea deals. More cases  should be resolved quickly and for that the DA, alleged victims, the public defenders and their unrealistic clients all need to come off their high horse. With exceptions, competent private, defense attorneys do not drag on cases, watch out for their clients and resolve cases. 

The only exception and the only agency I have faith in anymore is Eureka Police Department.

This case has dragged on for years now. Read through previous posts. I have been hearing about settlement discussions for years even before Deputy DA Ian Harris went on leave because it did not for years.

From what I understand about why Mr. Harris is on leave, nothing was preventing him from input on certain cases like this one remotely or another Deputy DA should have been given the authority to resolve the case.

Once again, local attorney Ben Okin made a special appearance for Uonan's attorney Mark Reichel.

On 8/13/26, instead of a preliminary hearing, it was stated assigned counsel would be returning soon which would be Mr. Harris. Deputy DA Trent Timm appeared on the case. Machado's attorney is Deputy Public Defender Casey Russo and assigned counsel returning soon which would be Deputy DA Ian Harris who has been out of the office for months due to medical reasons. Once again, the case was 
continued to 10/1 by defense. Not a surprise. It is mostly the defense for these endless continuances. Mr. Timm indicated negotiated disposition forthcoming.

I like to follow each hearing and provide a chronological update for my readers. That has become cumbersome and frustrating due to the many reasons caused by Humboldt Superior Court that I have mentioned many times.

Just checking on a daily log of court cases and endless continuances is not what I should be doing after 12 plus years and my knowledge of the system. With the online portal, people can check dates and basics. 

Like the parties in the criminal justice system, the other local media is free to show up for endless continuances. They get paid to do nothing and report on the SSDD. I don't and I don't like wasting my time on a daily log of non consequential shuffling of dates.

My readers deserve better and there is plenty of other local, regional, national content than reading, continued again and for the same reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.