Oct 2, 2026

Today's arguments in Georgi Tonev's sentencing hearing would make an excellent episode of a crime show

(Andrea Sullivan and Georgi Tonev: John Chiv)

No other media or any member of the community was at Georgi Tonev's sentencing hearing this morning which was continued to October 15. Deputy Rebecca Buckley-Stein and Ms. Andrea Sullivan presented arguments. I have been the only one to cover this regularly. My coverage of this case has been critical of HCSO and the Humboldt County DA's office based on court records and court testimony. Usually, I do not do posts on continuances, I will on today's hearings. I wish I could have videotaped today's proceeding. It would have made for an excellent episode of a crime show. 

Deputy DA Rebecca Buckley-Stein wants Georgi Tonev to go to prison. Ms. Sullivan was blunt in her response to Ms. Stein's argument, objecting at one point, "This is getting too much." Humboldt Superior Court Judge Steven Steward agreed. As for the prison sentence, Ms. Sullivan said, "This is illegal." 

If you want the details why, you are going to have wait until I have time to do a detailed post which will be sometime between Friday late evening to Monday morning as I update several cases.

People in the cannabis industry, those who have had to go through licensing in Humboldt will be interested in some of today's remarks by DA which were never part of official court record or testimony.

Took this photo of Georgi Tonev and Ms. Sullivan after the hearing.

If you have not read my previous coverage on the Tonev case; you should for context and background to today's hearing.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.