On September 15, Eureka Police Department sent out an invite to all media for a Regional PIO meet and greet. It takes place tomorrow from 10 a.m to 11 a.m. I sent my RSVP right away.
I will not post the location because this is for media only and not open to the public. I attended a similar event which was for EPD only.
"This will be a great opportunity for our local media partners to meet the PIOs and communications representatives from law enforcement agencies throughout our region, put faces to names, and establish points of contact for future media inquiries and critical incidents. This is intended specifically as an opportunity for our regional PIOs and local media partners to connect, get to know one another, and build stronger working relationships." --from invite
While this is an excellent idea and I thank EPD for organizing it, I will not be there. I heard not all media will be there tomorrow.
I informed Rachel Sollom yesterday why I could not be there. There are a few reasons but the ones that my readers need to know is that with the exception of Blue Lake Rancheria; I already know and have a good working relationship with the other PIOS. Better with some such as EPD, HCSO and CHP because they are the ones I have contact with the most based on what I cover. Blue Lake Rancheria is minority owner of LOCO and the tribes only respond to certain media. I am not wasting my time on unprofessionals.
I also know basic common sense policies and I follow those in place. I don't have time being the only one doing everything and one person to attend this event. For decades, there are certain media and their staff/freelancers who do whatever they want. They still will after tomorrow. I don't have time to waste on Humboldt "media" who like the criminals and powers to be I regularly cover think they are above the law and rules. I can do my job without a PIO available and I contact them when necessary. The masks have come off with certain local media and the fake niceness is gone. There were people from other local media in the past I worked with, helped and respected.
My time is better spent covering news and getting it to my readers live and as quickly as I do daily. This week is just as busy as any other day. I also cover regional and national news.
To EPD and the PIOs, thank you for the time you will put in tomorrow and you do everyday. My not being at the meet and greet has nothing to do with you.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.