Aug 13, 2026

Ward 5 candidate Kathleen Herrera has the right strategy to win elections

 


(Photo submitted by Herrera)


Yesterday, I posted immediately as Kathleen Herrera qualified for Ward 5. I did a 4 p.m. update on the final list of candidates.

Herrera's 501 form lists her as a Democrat.

As a Ward 5 voter, I want to thank Herrera for stepping up so former Eureka City Councilmember Jeff Leonard does not run unopposed. I asked Herrera some questions as a Ward 5 voter and for my readers.

I am impressed with Herrera's prompt response and her accessibility. That is a plus as a candidate. Personally, my views may not always be the same as Herrera's but what I have seen so far is 1. She cares about Eureka 2. Her strategy for this campaign is what candidates who win elections use; not social media. 3. She, as any other candidate, needs to appeal to Ward 5 voters not anonymous online commenters or a minority of insiders online. 4. Just like Audra Sisson, she wants to find common ground with people who have different views which is refreshing from the typical good ole Eureka boys and gals candidates.

I asked Herrera how voters could get more information about her. Did she plan on using social media?

She responded, "I plan to walk the entire Ward and meet as many people as possible, without knocking on doors.  I'm on Facebook as Kathy Herrera but would rather reach people in other ways.  Will be using door-hangers with my phone and address and email.  Will be checking messages often.  I'm close to joining DSA but I don't want to give up on seeking Common Ground."

This is a brief additional statement she provided. "My aim is to serve the people in this Ward 5 by learning more about their concerns and promoting understanding.  Regarding our unhoused, I believe in Housing First with the goal of someday making street living not an option.  I am a cyclist and happy with the bike lanes we presently have,  strongly oppose any more one-way streets.  With few other responibilites,  my time can be spent learning the whys and hows of our city's politics and finance."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.