This morning I was very sad to hear about the late Mrs. Pat Barnum.
I often call out Humboldt generational families. When I do that, it does not include certain families who have been here for generations and contributed to this community without wanting any recognition. Families whose children and grand children have built on the legacy, never forgotten about hard work and success. People who are kind and lift others up and do not judge them.
Many of you know how and why I started this blog and the focus on court coverage. KHSU interviewed me and Mad River Union had a column. Very grateful to both those media sources.
I knew Mrs. Barnum from church and my involvement in the business community. I no longer go to that church. There are very few people I do see; some through work and others in the community who, like Mrs. Barnum, did not judge or abandon me for leaving. They understood.
The Barnums are private. I am not going to share my conversation today with some of the Barnum family members. But I will share part of my day because I want to honor Mrs. Barnum.
Mrs. Barnum and members of the family don't seek recognition for good deeds. I doubt many at the local Catholic churches know of Mrs. Barnum's generosity. Whenever I saw her at church or out in the community, she genuinely made time for me. Mrs. Barnum never askes me for anything. There was nothing to gain from her being friendly and kind to me.
Today, in addition to praying for Mrs. Barnum and her family, I did something on the spur of the moment. I walked to St. Bernard' Catholic Church. I did not go inside. When you enter a house of worship, there are protocols. Even though I no longer go to that church, it would be disrespectful for me to go inside a house of worship and go through the motions and I don't pretend.
Just going there after years was a decision I did not make lightly. I did so because of Mrs. Barnum. Despite all the hurt, pain and betrayal I have experienced by the church, many Catholics and the hate, bitterness and betrayal in Humboldt; there are people like Mrs. Barnum who saw me, who knew why I was there and why I left. When I left, they knew I was still the same person of strength and faith.
What happened today is not just because of Mrs. Barnum. It is a part of a bigger decision, a journey and reasons between me and God. When I went there to pray, what I said is between me and God. It was not just about Mrs. Barnum. It was for me.
Those close to Mrs. Barnum rejoice for her because she is blessed and in the company of her husband with God.
Earlier this week, I had a very spiritual conversation with someone. He knows who he is and this post will make sense to him in a different way than others.
The third unplanned conversation is one of many I have daily. I am sharing this one because out there is someone who needs to read these words.
Later today, I met Houston. If you saw him walking on the street, most of you would notice he has tatoos. Some of you may notice he has some difficulty walking. What you won't know is that Houston served our country for many years. He was a combat engineer in Afghanistan; he used to disarm devices; he is a Purple Heart recepient. Houston was medically discharged. Houston's battles were not over. He fought PTSD; he had to teach himself to walk. Soon, he will be starting his own business. I would not have known had I not asked and it was Houston's choice to share. I am not naming the business or using Houston's last name for his privacy.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.