Mar 18, 2012

Scene on Foot


One of my favorite things that helps me to relax is to walk.  I have met many interesting people, seen sights that can only be enjoyed on foot and discovered Eureka from a unique perspective.

I must have passed this house on E Street many times and always thought it looked very colorful and different but it was just another house, different from others, which is one of Eureka’s appeal. Houses, like people, have their own distinct character and style.

A painting in the yard of this house caught my eye. After my daily cup of coffee, I went back to the house for a closer look. It was a painting of Tsurai Beach with those letters boldly stenciled on the painting. Trinidad is my favorite place in Humboldt County and that day I was thinking of how wonderful it would be to go there. I was also thinking of the rich Native American history of Humboldt County and the local tribes.

The second time I went back there, the artist was out in the yard and introduced himself to me as “Otto”. He was very modest. Later when I found out later that he was THE Curtis Otto, the experience I had that day grew in its significance.

Art can speak volumes and touch people and open their minds. I have personal reasons why seeing that painting for me was special. For Otto, he wanted to make a statement. Otto told me he had been working on this painting for years but there was something that seemed “incomplete.” Adding the words Tsurai Beach, added that final touch for him. He said he never did like the name Trinidad, because it did not conjure up Humboldt County. “Trinidad is in Spain,” he said. “This beach and the name Tsurai  is what the Indians called the area and I wish they would change the name back because this is their land.”

I have to agree with Otto.

This happened when I first moved to Eureka. Since then Otto and I have had several conversations about many things but that day always brings a smile to my face. I learned more about Tsurai Beach and Eureka from him than I could have reading any books or doing research. But most of all Otto, thank you for reminding me that I too can make a difference—my gift is with words.